Knee pain is a common complaint for many people. There are several factors that can cause knee pain. The knees are the largest and among the most complicated joints of our body. It is also a highly vulnerable joint which is prone to injuries and even overuse. Knees are weight bearing joints which help us in everything right from standing up to running and walking. They twist, turn and roll in order to accommodate our movements.
There are many different factors that could lead to mild, moderate or even severe knee pain. Given below are some of the most common causes for knee pain:
• Injuries: Some of the most common types of injuries that are known to affect the knee include Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), knee bursitis, torn meniscus and patellar tendinitis.
• Mechanical Problems: Some of the common mechanical knee problems include dislocated kneecaps, knee locking and pain in the hips. At times, a bone or cartilage may get degenerated, break off and float about in the joint space, causing excruciating pain in the knees.
• Arthritis: There are different types of arthritis that have been known to affect the elderly. Some of the knee pain-causing arthritic conditions include gout, pseudo-gout, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and septic arthritis.
• Obesity: You are at a much higher risk of suffering from knee problems, in case you are overweight. Excess weight increases the amount of pressure applied on to knee joints.
• Other Health Conditions: Some of the most common conditions include Osteochondritis dissecans, chondromalacia patellae and Osgood-Schlatter disease, to name a few.
Fortunately, there are many ways by which you can gain relief from knee pain. While there are quite a few over the counter and prescription painkillers easily available in the market, many individuals choose to opt for home remedies for knee pain, mainly because they want to avoid the adverse side effects associated with most medications.
There are many home remedies too, through which knee pain can be alleviated for a while. Given below are some of the most common remedies for knee pain:
• Wrap a couple of ice cubes in a towel and apply it on to your knee for around 15 minutes or so. However never apply ice to a particular spot for more than 20 minutes, as it could damage the skin and the nerves in that area
• Heat therapy is as effective in dealing with pain, as cold therapy is. You could sit in a steamy bathtub so that your knee soaks up the warmth from the water, which is excellent for alleviating the pain. Alternately, you could apply a hot water bag on your knee too.
• Gently massage your knee area with some warm olive oil around two or three times a day. Make sure that the massage lasts for at least 5 to 10 minutes at each time.
• Resting is one of the most important, yet commonly overlooked factors. However, it is absolutely essential that you refrain from putting too much pressure on your knees at all times.
• You could reduce the swelling in your knee by keeping it raised. Prop your affected leg on a couple of pillows, or sit on a recliner chair, which allows you to keep your legs elevated.
. Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder and apply it on the knee. This mixture is very warm and may burn the skin if left for long. Remove it the moment you start feeling uncomfortable.
. One spoon of mustard oil should be mixed with a spoon of olive oil and the knee should be massaged gently for some time.
. Organic vinegar when applied at night before going to sleep directly on the knees can be very beneficial for treating pain.
. Powdered seeds of omum can be mixed with water and drunk twice a day for instant pain relief from knee pain.
. You can also make a warm paste by using wheat flour, castor oil and turmeric mixed in goat's milk or ghee on the affected area.
. Fenugreek seeds soaked in mustard seed oil are a great remedy for knee pain. Smear these seeds on the knees and allow them to dry for some time.
. Take higher quantities of vitamin D, E and B3. Cod liver oil, peanuts and flaxseed oils are excellent. Glucosamine sulfate and niacinamide are some of the other nutritional supplements that can help in the slowing down of the degeneration of the knees.
. Swimming, biking, and rowing helps to shed extra weight, without affecting the knees.
. Mix coconut oil with clove oil and rub this gently over the affected knee muscle to get relief from knee pains.
. Include liberal amounts of ginger in your daily diet as it has excellent pain killing properties.
. Applying wintergreen lotion to the knee can work great in relieving pain. What it does is
produces heat which eases the affected area.
. Sit on a chair with the foot resting on another chair. Lift the foot slowly and hold it for 10 seconds. Then, resume resting position.