10 shallots - grounded
1 clove garlic - grounded
4-5 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 star anise
50g curry powder (refer to recipe above), mixed with ½ cup water
750-800g meaty chicken pieces with bones
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
125ml thick coconut milk (from ½ coconut)
salt to taste
1. Pound or grind the shallots, garlic to a smooth paste.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or roomy saucepan, add the star anise and fry over low heat for 5 seconds. Add the shallot paste and fry, stirring continuously, until fragrant and oil starts to separate.
3. Mix the curry powder with enough water to form a thick paste - about 125ml - add this to the wok. Stir fry for 5-10 minutes or until curry paste is fragrant.
4. Add the chicken, curry leaves and water; simmer for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender.
5. Add coconut milk, season to taste with salt and bring curry back to a boil before turning off the heat.
6. Serve with steamed rice.