Vaginal yeast infection is an infection of the vagina, most commonly due to the fungus Candida albicans.Most women will have a vaginal yeast infection at some time. Candida albicans is a common type of fungus. It is often present in small amounts in the vagina, mouth, digestive tract, and on the skin. Usually it does not cause disease or symptoms.
Candida and the many other germs or microorganisms that normally live in the vagina keep each other in balance. However, when the vagina has certain favorable conditions, the number of Candida albicans increases, leading to a yeast infection.
* Abnormal vaginal discharge - ranges from a slightly watery, white discharge to a thick, white, chunky discharge (like cottage cheese)
* Pain with intercourse
* Painful urination
* Redness and swelling of the vulva
* Vaginal and labial itching, burning
* Keep your genital area clean and dry. Avoid soap and rinse with water only. Sitting in a warm, but not hot bath may help your symptoms.
* Avoid douching. Although many women feel cleaner if they douche after menstruation or intercourse, it may actually worsen vaginal discharge because it removes healthy bacteria lining the vagina that protect against infection.
* Eat yogurt with live cultures or take Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets when you are on antibiotics to prevent a yeast infection.
* Use condoms to avoid catching or spreading sexually transmitted diseases.
* Avoid using feminine hygiene sprays, fragrances, or powders in the genital area.
* Avoid wearing extremely tight-fitting pants or shorts, which may cause irritation.
* Wear cotton underwear or cotton-crotch pantyhose. Avoid underwear made of silk or nylon, because these materials are not very absorbant and restrict air flow. This can increase sweating in the genital area, which can cause irritation.
* Use pads and not tampons.
* Keep your blood sugar levels under good control if you have diabetes.
Natural ways to treat vaginal yeast infection include:
* Eat yogurt - Yogurt has good bacteria's that fight off the infection and return the body's natural metabolism. You can eat the yogurt directly and or you can use it as a cream that you can apply in the infected area directly.
* Garlic - garlic are not only good for cooking they are also good for removing the yeast infection. The natural anti bacterial properties of garlic are good for fighting off the infection. You can either eat the garlic directly or you can turn it into a paste and apply it directly on the infected area.
* Tea Tree Oil - tea tree oil has natural anti bacterial properties that also help fight off the infection. You can use the tea tree oil as an ointment to apply directly to the infection or you can put some in warm water and use it in your bath.
* Aloe Vera - Aloe Vera has been used since ancient Egyptian times for it medicinal and anti bacterial properties. You can buy Aloe Vera, remember the fresh ones, and then you can turn it into paste by mashing it and applying it directly onto the affected area.