Food poisoning might be described as a food borne disease. Food that contains a toxin, chemical or infectious agent (like a bacterium, virus, parasite, or prion) and cause symptoms in the body are considered types of food poisoning by most investigators. Those symptoms may be related only to the gastrointestinal tract causing vomiting or diarrhea or may involve other organs such as the kidney, brain or muscle.
Food poisoning most commonly causes:
* abdominal cramps,
* vomiting and
This can cause significant amounts of fluid loss and with nausea and vomiting, it may be difficult to replace that fluid, leading to dehydration.
A health care practitioner should be contacted if the vomiting and diarrhea are associated with one or more of the following symptoms:
* blood in the stools,
* signs of dehydration including light headedness when standing, weakness, decreased urination,
* diarrhea that lasts longer than 72 hours, and/or
* intractable vomiting that prevents oral hydration.
Maintaining good hydration is the first priority when treating food poisoning. Medications may be prescribed to help control nausea and vomiting.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for food poisoning:
- Prepare a mixture by adding 1 tsp poppy seeds, 1 tsp edible gum, 1 tsp cardamom powder, 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder, and 2 tsp sugar, and grind to powder form. Take this powder every 2 hours.
- Ginger is very useful home remedy for treating food poisoning. Take small piece of ginger and make its paste by mixing buttermilk. Take this 2-3 times a day. Patient suffering from food poisoning may also take ginger extract along with lemon juice to get fast relief from vomiting, nausea, etc. Take 2-3 tablespoon of ginger and lemon extract each and add little amount of black pepper powder into it. Take this mixture 3-4 times a day.
- You can also take this immediate step for treating food poisoning like give warm water to the patient immediately after vomiting. This would sooth his stomach and gives relief from abdominal pain.
- Papaya is also taken for treating food poisoning. Take a raw papaya, grate it or cut it into small cubes. Take 1-2 glass of water and add papaya to it. Allow it to boil for 15-20 minutes, drain the mixture and drink it. Take this mixture 2-3 times a day. It is natural and very effective in food poisoning.
- Prepare an herbal tea of mint, raspberry, chamomile and blackberry for treating food poisoning.
- Take 10-15 seeds cumin (jeera) and fenugreek (methi) seeds each and powder it. Add these powders in a glass of water. Drink the mixture. This gives much relief from vomiting and abdominal pain. You can also take these powders with a half cup of fresh curd in place of water.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoon of basil leaves extract in a half cup of fresh curd. Add little amount of black salt and black pepper to it. Take this 3-4 times a day. This will give you fast relief from vomiting, weakness, and body pain.
Following are some of the simple tips to prevent food poisoning:
- Cook mutton, chicken, fish at temperature at which all the germs are killed. Also preserve these food items at appropriate temperature inside refrigerator.
- Always wash your hands before cooking, serving, and eating food.
- Do not use the oil which is left out in the pan after cooking something. Harmful chemical reaction takes place in between.
- Keep your refrigerator properly clean. See the temperature of the freezer and other sections are set at right temperature.
- Keep your house, especially kitchen and utensils, plates, napkins, vegetable knives, etc., clean. Use dish washers containing lemon.
- Never keep the food items at room temperature for more than 2-3 hours.
- Do not preserve milk products, cakes, breads etc., for more than a day.
- Check the manufacturing and expiry date of any eatable before buying it.
- Also check the seal of the canned food.
- Do not use rusted knife or chopper. Use good quality cutting board and wash it thoroughly after use.
- Always eat fresh and well-cooked food. If the food is left, keep it in refrigerator, and heat it before eating.
- Do not eat fried food outside, you don't know oil is of good quality or not.
- Always take lemon water before going to bed. This helps in easy digestion and will also keep the bowel movement correct.